UNISDR GLOBAL PLATFORM FOR DISASTER RISK REDUCTION 2019: SCIENCE AND POLICY FORUM 13 -14 MAY
The Global Platform for Disaster Reduction is the world's foremost gathering on reducing disaster risk and building the resilience of communities and nations. The sixth session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019) will take place in Geneva, Switzerland from 13 to 17 May, 2019, convened and organized by the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) and hosted by the Government of Switzerland. The session will be co-chaired by Switzerland and UNISDR. It will represent the next important opportunity for the international community to boost the implementation of the Sendai Framework related goals of the 2030 Agenda, as well as commitments of the Paris Climate Agreement. It is also the last global gathering for all stakeholders before the deadline for achieving Target E of the Sendai Framework: to substantially increase the number of countries with national and local disaster risk reduction strategies by 2020.
The theme of GP2019 will focus on how managing disaster risk and risk-informed development investments pay dividends in multiple sectors and geographies, across all scales, and throughout social, economic, financial and environmental fields. The concept of ‘resilience dividend’ in this context is to be interpreted in a broader sense that goes beyond monetary profit. It contributes to reducing disaster risk, fosters development and triggers multiple social, environmental and economic benefits in the long term. The sessions will be designed in a way that key players - such as ministries of planning, economy and finance, national and international regulators, and legislators, as well as members of the business and investor communities and international financial institutions - will feature prominently as speakers and discussants, throughout the Platform, while at the same time respecting an inclusive approach and making sure that all stakeholders will have an active role to play.
Between 13 – 14 May, a special two day session, ‘Science and Policy Forum for the Implementation of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction’ organised by the UNISDR Science Technology Advisory Groups (STAG) will be held. The forum aims to act as a preparatory event on the latest developments and trends in reducing disaster risk at the interface of science and policy. The objectives of the forum will be to;
- To share and review progress in global, regional, national and local implementation of science-based policy making, risk sensitive development as a basis for enhanced engagement between science and policy for risk informed decision making across the 2030 Agenda;
- To identify the key knowledge gaps and opportunities to strengthen the contributions of a comprehensive, interdisciplinary science base to delivering the Sendai Framework including through the operationalization of the Global Science and Technology Road Map;
- To commit collectively to enhanced collaboration for an integrated science approach to DRR, CCA and sustainable development;
- To fill the current gap in knowledge and application of new technologies for disaster risk reduction and enhanced resilience.
Audience and Participants
The priority audiences for the conference are:
- Policy-makers dealing with the implementation of the Sendai Framework nationally;
- Scientists and technology experts actively working in building the knowledge and its use in decision-making and action around the Sendai objectives;
- Other stakeholders from civil society, business, media working on supporting evidence-based DRR.
All those registered for the Global Platform dialogue are invited to attend.
Please fill in the form here to let us know you're coming to the Science and Policy
You will note that if you haven’t registered for the GP2019 you will need to do so via
More information on the Science and Policy Forum can be found below
- Science and Policy Forum Basic Info
- Science and Policy Forum for the Implementation of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction Background Note
- Private Sector Day at the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) – 14 May Draft Agenda
- Stakeholder Forum at GPDRR 2019: 13-14 May 2019 Draft agenda